ACFF is currently seeking to hire a part-time COMMUNICATIONS & DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE.
Position Summary: The Communications and Development Associate will work closely with the Executive Director to coordinate and execute ACFF’s communications to our audience, donors, and the media, provide administrative support, and assist with fundraising, special events, and donor cultivation. This is a new position that will complement the existing staff of one full-time executive director and one ¾ time Festival Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities:
COMMUNICATIONS (approx. 50% of duties)
Assist with development and implementation of ACFF’s communications and outreach plans to inform and grow our audience. Expertise with social media platforms, press releases and relations, and network building is essential. Specifically:
- Market festival, workshop, and special events.
- Coordinate mailings and press distribution for events and campaigns.
- Have consistent social media presence on multiple platforms – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, MailChimp, Vimeo, YouTube.
- Update and make improvements to website.
- Develop and update media kits, key messages, fact sheets, & other collateral material as needed.
- Assist with coordination of media outreach & coverage with media releases, TV/radio interviews, feature stories, PSAs, press conferences, etc.
- Coordinate photography for/of events, activities, etc. for use in publications, media, etc; maintain graphics & photo files.
- Distribute promotional materials.
- Provide analysis of social media and publicity outreach efforts.
DEVELOPMENT (approx. 25% of duties)
- Maintain donor database, generate reports and letters, and research funding opportunities. Ensure accurate record-keeping of contributions. Provide reports and statistics to track engagement and giving.
- Assist with special events, including fundraisers, community events, and workshops. This will include a wide range of tasks.
- Solicit, gather, and ensure advertisements for festival program.
- Be an Ambassador for conservation and art. The Communications & Development Associate will be joining a staff, board, audience, and filmmakers who believe that storytelling through film is one of the most powerful tools in the conservation of culture and the environment.
ADMINISTRATION (approx. 25% of duties)
- Manage databases and mailing lists (Little Green Light, MailChimp, EventBrite).
- Check mail regularly, make bank deposits, and complete and file necessary paperwork.
- Maintain office supplies and organization and tidiness of office files and equipment.
Compensation & Time Commitment:
Average of 25 hours per week, paid hourly at $18/hour. Hours increase before and during the festival in October.
Position offers flexibility, creativity, and opportunity for advancement depending on performance and needs of organization.
Organization & Reporting:
The ACFF Communications & Development Associate is responsible to the Board of Directors with day-to-day operational relationship and line of reporting to the Executive Director.
- BA or higher degree in communications, marketing, media, or related field and/or minimum of 2 years experience in these areas.
- Exceptional, demonstrated verbal and written communications skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, databases, social media platforms, and basic website editing and updating. Some design experience is helpful.
- Highly organized, attentive to detail, and responsive to instruction.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and manage time and multiple tasks.
- Interest in environmental and cultural issues highly desired.
- Proximity to Shepherdstown a plus; reliable transportation necessary.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and carry up to 35 pounds.
Submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selected candidates will be asked to submit writing samples and complete a questionnaire as well as appear for at least one in-person interview.
The position will be open until filled.
Work Environment & System Requirements:
- ACFF has an office space in Shepherdstown which staff is welcome to use whenever needed.
- A Mac-based laptop or desktop computer can be provided, but the desired candidate will have their own computer (Mac preferred) with the necessary applications (MS office) and ability to access cloud-based applications (Little Green Light, MailChimp, EventBrite, Quickbooks, WordPress, Dropbox, email, etc).
- The position is estimated to require an average of 25 hours per week to fulfill responsibilities. This work will be performed at the discretion of the employee. Daily responses to email inquiries and instructions are required.
- Employee will be required to attend monthly evening board meetings, some weekend and evening events, and devote full-time, evening, and weekend hours during the festival weekends in October.
- A fair level of stamina is required during the long hours of the festival weekends, serving audience members, filmmakers, presenters, and getting venues set up and broken down.
- Some travel to neighboring communities in West Virginia, Virginia, and Maryland is required to distribute promotional materials.
- ACFF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, ethnicity, creed, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, citizenship status, military service and/or marital status, order of protection status, handicap, disability, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state,